Labor Day is behind us and now enthusiam, excitement and anticipation are in the air as parents and children prepare for school and businesses prepare for the last few months of the calendar year. Although fall brings much excitement, the stress and cold weather sometimes leave you craving a quick, easy and comforting meal like macaroni and cheese. With this homemade recipe, you can eliminate most preservatives and still reap some health benefits while you enjoy this perfection in a bowl.
- 6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyere or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated pecorino Romano
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup pecorino Romano. Set cheese sauce aside.
Everyone at our office had a great Labor Day weekend and we are prepared and excited for the rest of the year. If you or any friends bought a new car over the weekend, give us a chance to provide a quote on your car insurance. If you have questions about your homeowners insurance or your business insurance, we would love to help or provide you with a quote at Mackoul & Associates.