If you’re using a space heater to keep extra warm this winter, it’s important to remember the potential hazards that come with them. Always follow these tips when using a space heater in your home:
- Before using a space heater, read the directions and make sure you know how to properly operate it, and make sure it is in good working condition.
- Keep space heaters on the floor. Never move them to a table, shelf, bed, etc. If possible avoid rugs as well.
- Avoid putting your space heater in a high-traffic area where it could be easily knocked over.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything flammable- including curtains, blankets, etc.
- Do not use space heaters near water, such as in the bathroom or kitchen.
- Turn space heaters off and unplug them when not in use. Never leave them unattended or on while you are sleeping. If something happens, you want to be aware of it right away.
- Keep pets and small children away from space heaters.
- Plug space heaters into wall outlets only- not surge protectors, extension cords, etc.
- Make sure your smoke detector is in good working condition and the batteries are fresh.
- If you live in a building, check the rules and regulations regarding space heaters and be sure to follow them for the safety of yourself and those around you.
Click here to download this list and, as always, reach out to us with questions anytime. Stay safe.