Skip to main content

Insuring Your Bling: Mackoul’s Guide to Insuring Your Jewelry Collection

By March 11, 2013April 15th, 2018General Updates

When many of us think of our most prized possessions, we think of our jewelry collection. Whether it’s an inherited antique watch or a treasured engagement ring, these high-value items are considered irreplaceable to us.

Now consider the unimaginable; your jewelry collection gets lost or stolen. Did you take out insurance for your collection? If you were proactive enough to get insurance, how much does it actually cover?

While most homeowners’ policies do cover jewelry items, when an actual loss of an entire jewelry collection does occur, it is rare that the owner receives a settlement anywhere close to the true value of the missing items. What most people do not realize is that the key to avoiding being in that position largely rests on establishing what they actually own – and making sure their insurer knows too.


The first step to making sure that your jewelry collection is sufficiently valued to guarantee replacement in the current market is to document comprehensive and detailed information on the jewelry that you own. Put together a list of all of your jewelry and take pictures of each piece. Take pictures at different angles to see the full size of stones, diamonds, etc. Tracking down the receipts to your pieces will aide in the process of establishing their value.


Go to a reliable appraiser that you trust. Many jewelry appraisals conducted at local shops and the certificates of authenticity retained at the time of purchase do not always provide the true value of a particular item or jewelry collection. Owners must get into the specific details of each piece with an expert appraiser to uncover the accurate value.


What should you do if your homeowners’ or renters’ policy does not cover the full amount of your jewelry collection? You may want to consider purchasing an extension on your homeowners’ or renters’ policy. A Personal Articles Floater is a separate endorsement (also known as a rider) that can be added to your homeowners’ policy for personal items that have a higher value than the limits imposed in your homeowners’ policy. Contact your insurance agent to candidly discuss your collection to see if a Personal Articles Floater is right for you.

Skip to content