Skip to main content

Quick Tip: Coverage for a student away at school.

By August 14, 2017April 15th, 2018Blog, Personal Protection, Quick Tips

Elizabeth Cornell, Personal Lines Account Manager, reviews why coverage for a student away at school is necessary.

The average college student leaves home with almost $10,000 in belongings, including clothes, electronics and decor, as well as computer and gaming equipment. Many dorm rooms have an open door policy; kids often leave their rooms unlocked and travel from room to room, leaving their personal property at risk for theft and damage.

Generally, a homeowner’s insurance policy will protect your child’s possessions while they are away at school, however they must be living in a dorm or on campus. Once you child moves off campus into an apartment or other housing you will need to purchase a renters policy for your child in that state.

In many cases, your child must be under the age of 21 to qualify for coverage while away at school. Each policy will have different restrictions and limitations. Some insurance companies have even gone as far as adding special student away at school endorsements that provide more coverage for personal property and liability. It’s best to have a conversation with your insurance agent to see what options will work best for you and your child’s situation.

For more information, please contact us.

Skip to content