Well, Hurricane Irene came and went leaving a path of flooding and destruction behind her. We hope that our tips prior to the hurricane were helpful and that everyone was able to stay safe and dry. For those of you who suffered damages to your property, you are probably beginning or in the midst of filing a claim. Below is a guide that was published in Newsday from the Insurance Information Institute of how to file a claim. We hope this helps smooth out the process for you:
How to file a claim:
- Call your insurance agent.
- Be prepared to give your agent a description of the damage to your property and make sure you give your agent telephone numbers to reach you.
- If it is safe to access the area, take photographs of the damaged property.
- Prepare a detailed inventory of all damaged or destroyed personal property and make copies for yourself and for the adjuster.
- Make temporary repairs- such as covering broken windows or damaged roofs- without endangering yourself.
- Save receipts for all expenses, including hotel or restaurant receipts if you have to make temporary living arrangements.
We hope that this guide has helped you make the claims process a bit smoother. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call us at Mackoul & Associates and we will walk you through the process.