Today marks what would be the 176th birthday of Mark Twain. So why all the fuss about a guy that is no longer with us?
Well, Mark Twain wasn’t just any other guy to grace this earth with his presence. He is well known through many of his much repeated quotations and championed novels in American literature. Also known as Samuel Langhorn Clemens or Thomas Jefferson Snodgrass, Mark Twain has been called one of the most accomplished writers in American History. I think we all know him from his many thought-provoking, quirky and satirical anecdotes, or maybe from reading “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” in 10th or 11th grade. Ernest Hemingway once said, “All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn, there has been nothing as good since.”
In honor of Mr. Twain’s birthday, enjoy some of his thought-provoking statements where he alone can combine wit and wisdom brilliantly in just a sentence.
10 Humorous and Inspirational Mark Twain Quotes:
- “It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
- “Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles had been.”
- “When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.”
- “The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.”
- “I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one”
- “Get your facts first and then you can distort them as much as you wish”
- “If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.”
- “All generalizations are false, including this one.”
- “Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.”
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
What is your favorite Mark Twain quote? Comment below! We’d love to hear from you.